Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Peanuts


Well, it's my last night in Budapest, and that makes it sound like I've been here a while. And even though we've only been here since Friday it feels like a lot longer, which can only be a good thing. I think it's because we've been out and about looking at graves, statues and religious buildings pretty much solidly for three days.

I finally had some Hungarian goulash tonight, yay. In the pub we were in, there was plentiful supply of peanuts, and you just chucked the shells on the floor. There was also hay on the floor. It felt a bit like an oversized guinea pig hutch in some ways, but it was delightful none-the-less. I also had the world's biggest salad, which even after attacking for 30 mins, looked exactly the same. Woo-hoo.

Me and Emma had the same thought when we visited St Stephen's Basilica. It's all very well and good that religion is supposed to help people, but the amount of gold that they use in places is money that could have been spent on so much better causes. Sure it looks impressive to some tourists walking round, but so what?

On a less politicised paragraph, I was most disappointed by St Stephen's mummified hand. You could hardly see it, or get close enough to see it. And the 100 forints some sucker put in to light up did bugger all to help. Rubbish. Next time I see the 1000 year old mummified remains of something I better be able to get my camera on it, or it's just not worth it. I had to have a picture of candles as picture of the day today, boo hiss.

Finally made it onto the top#3 things to do Budapest, that being going on the tram. I can't help but think they'd run out of things to do, so just opted for this, because it's hardly spectacular. Oh well, at least it's quick. We also saw a load of Budapest marathoners today, for about 2 seconds you might have thought you were in London, where that 101 year old and blind dude (who - by the way, fact fans - is from West Bromwich.... woo hoo) were running. But we weren't.
Top Three Things I will miss about Budapest:
#1 - Easy breakfasts - I just can't be bothered back in the UK.
#2 - Power shower.
#3 - Metro - Cardiff Bus and West Midlands travel just doesn't compete.
Top Three Things I won't miss about Budapest:
#1 - Only having the choice of Sky News, CNN and BBC World to watch on television. I don't need to be told 1700 times a day that Britney Spears has been in a car crash.
#2 -Hungarian language - I don't know what the hell anything says.
#3 - Aching legs - It's not really Budapest's fault, but my feet and legs have ached a lot from all the walking around.
Finally, on our last day tomorrow, we're going to Budapest's zoo - they have 200 primates there. If you have read my "about me" section, you'll know why I'm quite excited about this.

So that's all for now, it's back to England tomorrow for a short while, and then back to Wales on Tuesday.

Au revoir. Viszlát. Goodbye. Tschuss. Nos da. (A pentlingual - is that a word - sign off... aren't I super?)

P.S. Welsh people might be angry to know that yesterday when I went to the House of Terror, I showed them my student card to get some discount, and the woman exclaimed "Cardiff University, is that in England?" - and to avoid disturbance I said yes... shocking isn't it, and what with my dissertation as well. I should hang my head in shame. Oh well.
P.P.S - Today sees the launch of my ultra-exciting Media Blog. Check it out at: http://ramblersmediablog.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home