Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Ballot Box

Today I visited Church. No, I haven't suddenly been touched by God, but rather, it was time to vote in the local elections. Here in Cardiff we have an extra special treat of not 1 vote, but FOUR! Yes that's right folks, FOUR!


So off I toddled to the polling booth, I won't tell you which parties I voted for, because I believe it's meant to be secret, and I don't want this blog turning into a political whip! There weren't many people when I got there, maybe there had been a sudden rush earlier, or maybe people round here aren't bothering to vote. This wouldn't surprise me as this area is probably 90% populated by students. Apathy amongst the young is a shame, although not surprising. I think politicians need to find a new way to connect with the young that doesn't involve the words 'Hug a Hoodie' or 'Webcameron'. I don't know what the answer is, which is probably why it's a good thing I'm not running for office (this time - my world domination plans don't kick off until 2022.)


Some people suggest that the voting age should be lowered to 16. It seems to me that this would create an extra million people who don't bother to vote, so what's the point. Maybe an alternative would be that any 16-year-old who has the desire to vote writes in to ask for it. Then we'd also know how many are politicised.


Today's voting got me thinking about why I vote. If you were a cynic, you might say that I voted today just so I could write this blog. Well, you might be partly correct, but at the same time, I voted last year (actually - that's a good point - I can't even remember what that was for, although it must have been different because I had two voting slips, not one...) so I must just like doing it. I remember the first time I was entitled to vote, that was for a General Election, so it was even MORE exciting - if you can believe it! It felt like a rite of passage, as if, now I'm 18 I can take part in this ritual - woo hoo! I vote now because I like to believe in a democracy, but I think I might be a bit deluded - a bit like feeling you're interacting, but really it's just to keep us all quiet. Again, with the cynicism.


Well anyway, thus ends today's special edition blog. Head over to my media blog for my review of electioneering material - yes it's really exciting isn't it!
I must be off because, as we all know, instant gratification is needed these days, not in depth political analysis, and a chocolate cheesecake and Heroes awaits me!


Ciao chums. x


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home