Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

I finally finished my CD which epitomises my music taste (or does it epitomise me - not quite sure about that one). A lot of songs had to face the chop, and making the final 25 was hard, so if you're one of those songs - congratulations. Check out my abstract greetings to a song?!

Well, for those of you eager to know, these are the songs that made the final cut, along with an explanation as to why they're there - enjoy! Any of my special fans who would like a copy of the CD - please let me know! :)

1. Is You Is Or Is You Ain’t My Baby – Dinah Washington (1956)
I suppose one of the main reasons why I love this song is because it shows a blatant disregard for grammar, and that’s something I strive for in my everyday life.

2. Great Balls of Fire – Jerry Lee Lewis (1957)
It’s very lively, and along with the next song, it symbolises the big changes that were coming.

3. Johnny B Goode – Chuck Berry (1958)
Because I’m not sure the rest of the songs on this CD would exist without it.

4. Cheek to Cheek – Frank Sinatra (1959)
Because knowing this had made it on to the list would make my Dad happy, and that’s nice.

5. Stand By Me – Ben E. King (1961)
This was no. 1 on my birthday. I was not born in 1961. I was of course born in 1853; I think you will agree I look remarkably good for my age. I look 120 at most.

6. Hit the Road Jack – Ray Charles (1961)

I’ve always found it a bit of a shock when that woman comes in with “Don’t care if you do!!”.

7. I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself – Dusty Springfield (1964)
I did think about putting “Son of a Preacher Man” on, but I thought that although brilliant, it’s a bit cliché and everyone’s probably heard it a million times. Nobody wants to hear a song a million and one times, look what happened to Peter Andre. This song was covered by The White Stripes, and I like them a bit too. Multi-faceted.

8. My Generation – The Who (1965)
This was a fairly late admission to the CD, and it is here because with it, this section of the CD basically encompasses the Sixties, and that ain’t no bad thing. We all know I should have been around in the Sixties and not now.

9. You Can’t Hurry Love – The Supremes (1966)
This is here in spite of Phil Collins bastardizing it in the Eighties. Despite his attempts to ruin it for all music lovers, it stays on the list because it’s a nice message of hope for everyone. One day when I get the band together, I think we’ll release this first. I also like the tune, and the sound of Diana Ross’ voice.

10. Waterloo Sunset – The Kinks (1967)
Because I like to imagine Terry and Julie wandering about. I wonder what they’re doing now. I like the backing vocals on this because they are a bit ethereal. And what a lyric “chilly chilly is evening time.” They don’t write them like that anymore do they? Oh and isn’t paradise a nice word?

11. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite – The Beatles (1967)
Choosing a Beatles track is, for me, like choosing my favourite crisp product. That’s right, nigh on impossible. But I chose this one because it’s an album track, so there’s a chance not everyone has heard it. This song has an interesting back history, and is actually based on a real circus. Henry the Horse dances the Waltz – a classic line. I must admit I do sometimes get a bit scared by the surreal sounding circus music, but in the end I think you should always be slightly scared by your music choices.

12. Ride A White Swan – T-Rex (1970)
Because this is just the beginning, and I think it epitomises the seventies. And it’s not I Love to Boogie, which some people think is the only T-Rex song.

13. Brown Sugar – The Rolling Stones (1971)
Another hard choice. I went for Brown Sugar because it was from the seventies, and I wanted a nice representation of the seventies. I think their sixties stuff is a bit too similar to the Beatles.

14. Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie (1972)
I will admit this one made it on to the CD because of the track length fitting perfectly, and it’s not ‘Let’s Dance’ which is quite frankly an abomination. Also, as an afterthought I like the words ‘star’ and ‘dust’.

15. Superstition – Stevie Wonder (1972)
This was the only song that was a definite from the word go. Something about this song just makes it simply stunning. I think it’s the guitar sound.

16. Heart of Glass – Blondie (1978)
I like Blondie, but I have to admit the main reason I chose this is because it’s my top scoring song on SingStar. I think I was particularly good on the “ooooooooooh oh oh oh”. Plus Blondie is pretty hot in the video – I’d have certainly given her a go. Another good one to represent the Seventies as well.

17. Lucky Star – Madonna (1984)
There are numerous reasons why this song got chosen. Obviously we have the star references again, but also the sound at the start that continues in to the background of the song is just divine. Also, check out the groovy dancing in the video, it’s awe-inspiring.

18. Raspberry Beret – Prince (1985)
Need I say much more than ‘She walked in through the out door’? In special homage to this song, I walked out through the in door of the library. WILD.

19. Song For Whoever – The Beautiful South (1989)
Another lyrically inspired choice – ‘I love you from the bottom of my pencil case’ is one of my all time favourite lyrics. I also like the acknowledgement that songs are written to make money. Nice.

20. Married With Children – Oasis (1994)
A good one if you find someone a bit annoying, as the lyrics fit very well to that situation (mentioning no names, obviously). I like how it’s quite jolly sounding despite containing much vitriol. I do of course like the more popular songs of Oasis as well, but as previously mentioned nobody wants to hear a song a million and one times. I used to watch Married With Children quite a lot; maybe it reminds me of that a bit as well.

21. Country House – Blur (1995)
I suppose I really wanted to encapsulate the nineties without the need for all the ridiculously cheesy pop that now sounds terrible, and this for me does it. The lyric ‘I’m a professional cynic, but my heart’s not in it’ helps too. Oh and the reference to Oasis. Nice work.

22. The Bartender and the Thief – Stereophonics (1998)
This is another one which tells a story, and I like songs that do that. Also it has some nice manly foot-stomping about it. Plus, something Welsh has got to be on here somewhere.

23. Hella Good – No Doubt (2001)
Partly because I always think that Billie Jean is about to start and partly because of the awesome bass-line. Plus this was made in a simpler time when Gwen didn’t go about yodelling like a banshee.

24. Toxic – Britney Spears (2004)
Brilliance. Or... as a guest contributor says...
“A song of such magnitude is unfortunately overlooked in these judgemental days of demonization of anything considered "pop"”
Another song that was made in much simpler times. I generally also like words with x in because they make a nice sound when you say them.

25. Once More With Feeling – Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly. (2006)
This song just reminds me of my years at University. I’ll probably hear this in ten years time and still think of Uni. Ten years time is a subject of hot debate, I’m always thinking about what’s going to happen in ten years time. Also I saw him in Bridgend, and that’s gotta deserve a special mention anyway.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home